High Performance Brake Components
Put simply, your vehicle's brake system is designed to "inhibit motion." Just like you love to get your car up and running, sometimes you need that vehicle to stop on short notice, too. It's the brake system that makes this possible. While brake rotors are just one part of your brake system, it's beneficial to learn about all the primary components of your brake system and how they work in conjunction with the rotors.
Main Components of Brakes
What you think of as "brakes" is actually a system of complex components in your vehicle. Each of them works together to give you the power to stop your vehicle when you need to. They include:
- Brake Pads: Brake pads provide a cushion between your system and its vital components. If you let your brake pads wear thin, your rotors will become damaged, eventually grinding your vehicle to a halt altogether, so regular brake pad changes are essential
- Brake Shoes: Shoes are metal friction plates of different types that insulate against the brake drums (more on that in a minute).
- Brake Rotors
- Brake Calipers: The disc brake system has calipers, and they have pistons within them that meet brake fluid and help to decelerate your vehicle.
What is the Function of Brake Rotors?
Rotors are to your brake system what your heart is to your body. It keeps everything flowing in motion, or in this case, the cessation of motion. Brake pads clamp down on rotors to stop your vehicle. So, if your rotors are slowly wearing away due to bad brake pads, you can expect to have a disaster on your hands if you let the condition go for too long.
Rotor Issue Symptoms
If your rotors are showing any of the following symptoms, it might be time to take your vehicle in for a full brake system inspection.
- Grinding: If you're hearing grinding noises when your vehicle's brake system is engaged, it's very likely that you have a rotor issue on your hands (as well as a brake pad breakdown). Remember that once the pads are worn enough, your rotors will begin to suffer, causing deterioration every time you apply your brakes.
- Abrupt Stops: If you have a healthy brake system, your vehicle is going to gradually stop when you apply the brakes. But if your pads and rotors are damaged, you’ll experience abrupt stops, no matter how gradually you apply the brake.
- Vibrating: If you apply the brake pedal and your vehicle begins vibrating, you might be having issues with your rotors or other brake components.
High Performance Brake Components
When your car starts displaying the above symptoms, it's time to order high quality brake components from Springrates.com. We carry brake components each at lower prices than the other guy, so there's never a shortage of parts and supplies for people who need calipers, rotors, and other vital brake components.
Our team here is friendly, courteous, and professional. We delight in helping our loyal customers take care of their automotive needs. Why? Well, we own vehicles ourselves and know how big a part of our lives these possessions play. A good car is a treasure forever, but only if it's up and running the way that it should be.
When your brake components wear down, your vehicle doesn't perform the way it should. It could be as simple as a grinding noise when you brake – which is a good indication that you're doing enormous damage to your rotors – or it could be a complete breakdown of your vehicle. Don't wait until it results in a complete breakdown! Look through our massive inventory of brake components and decide which brand and type is right for you.
If you have any questions at all about our brake products, simply contact us via phone or email. We'll be right here to guide you to the brake components that are best for your car’s make and model. And as always, you can count on us to be a worthy resource for all the help you need.
If your brakes aren't performing the way they should, or your car is completely undriveable due to a brake component, it's time to contact the pros at Springrates.com. We'll be here for you every step of the way. Check back daily for new auto parts to order!